domingo, 15 de junho de 2014

Still in shock

It has been four days since I arrived in Angola and although I never thought about it, as soon as I stepped in African soil I knew this was one adventure I had to live.

Chaos, confusion, pollution, poverty and wealth, a lot of wealth…

There were 3 guys waiting for me and immediately I felt important, one picked up my suitcase, the other went to pay the parking and the third one was there just in case something else was needed.
I entered in Sousa’s car, my driver, and responsible to accompany me during the day. As soon as I entered the car they gave me two tickets, one for Cabinda and one to return to Lisbon, a ticket I’m not going to use, just a formality to enter the country and a package with money for the day. It’s weird that in the first 30 minutes of my stay in this country somebody gave me a third of the Portuguese minimum wage, no questions asked, the only thing I had to do was sign a receipt so the people in charge rest assured I received the money and that the boy didn’t keep it for himself.

After that I went to the Hotel, not sure if I can call it that but anyway, where I found the first of my new collection of amazing stories. I arrived in the room that had a filthy bed, in the bathroom a greasy soap bar that I wasn’t sure was still soap and the cherry on top of the cake, a pack of condoms in my nightstand drawer. Some people prefer the Bible, but oh well. I still think it’s a nice idea, but I prefer to use mine instead of putting my tool in unknown rubber.

I had lunch in a Portuguese restaurant that, like Sousa said, is where you find good food. Well for 30 dollars a plate it better be damn good.

Luanda is a mix of wealth and poverty only, the middle class are either travelers or people like me, working for the rich people. Some other amazing stories are of course a Portugal favorite, the famous wall that says “It’s forbidden to piss here” and the second one was reaching the only shopping center in the city, for the rich people full of luxury and custom brands.
Business man from the real estate industry, work at the coffee table, while in Portugal they would be out of work here their briefcases are full of profitable business.

After a quick lunch at Burger King, a first for me believe it or not, I headed to Luanda’s office.
I consider myself lucky, due to my life experience I feel comfortable in the midst of poverty or wealth, but here, the words from my previous boss and friend echoes in my mind. “You’re going to feel important there and receive a treatment that you would never get in Portugal.” Words of wisdom that I didn’t paid much attention at the time but now I understand.

While at my new boss office, I was introduced to the Engineers and a few Doctor’s and had a nice Nespresso. I also helped to fix a problem in the new, top of the line, Mac that was sitting at the table, belonging to someone that doesn’t even knew what the refresh button did.

And of I went to the airport, after stopping at 4 security posts to check my papers I boarded the plane, tired, sleepy, and uncomfortable and with a sudden urge to rip my nose of finally it was time to take off.
My arm rest belonged to the old man sitting by my side, and part of my seat to, it didn’t even crossed my mind to complain, and on the other side a tanned Chinese man that moved like he had thumbtacks in his seat.
Boarding a national flight here is a risk, between flights that are ridiculously late, baggage that gets lost and the lack of hygiene in the plane we still have to deal with the cheerful commentary of the rest of the passengers. Like the lady that received a call when we were taking of, the man that got up, took her phone and turned it off and the flight attendant screaming for him to sit down and put his seat back.
The snacks were served in a rush, working like a production line and followed by a little episode of Mr Bean to keep us company. In a flight that only took 50 minutes I was happy to reach solid ground, with a smile on my face because there is no point in complaining or to be pissed, it changes nothing.

Finally at 21h30 I arrived at the Cabinda’s airport and stepped for the first time on my new home.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário