For society to work, you have to fail. Yes you. Because somebody needs to do what the rest of us are too good to do.
If everybody was equal, who would want to serve coffee on a new years morning? Or wipe shit out of somebody ass on Christmas day?
For a long time I have been shouting that our education system is unfair, on the surface it appears to reward the ones who are smart and work hard for their dreams, but those chosen few, the ones who everybody cherish for all of their effort are just the tip of the iceberg. I tend to find that for 1 success story from a poor kid who had to struggle all of his life to follow his dreams, 9 equally gifted were left behind. Because sometimes their gift or knowledge wasn't conventional, or maybe his father was a drunk and beat his mother and instead of a future engineer he is now a truck driver. And don't get me wrong, driving a truck is really difficult and you need great skills to pull it off, but i really doubt my friend wanted to be driving a truck when he got to his 30's.
That same friend took me out for a coffee when we were about 20, I was fighting depression and was completely lost, my family dint understand that it was a condition and shrugged it off as you just being a sissy. But he took me out of the house to drink a coffee and tell me his story, when his mother left is father and left him and his brother behind he entered depression, and like with my case, they gave him a big flask of pills and sent him on his own. He quit school to support his drunken father and allow is brother a better life that what he had in store. Don't get me wrong, even though we haven't talked in years he is now, i think, happily married, has a very cute kid, and seems to be doing o.k driving a truck around. He told me on that day, well I quit the studies because i needed money, but it's o.k, we can't all be doctors.
He was right, we can't... But i knew him before this happened, i knew him before he gave up, I knew that he had an amazing mind, the things we built together in my backyard when we were kids, were amazing for such young kids. So I'm left to wonder, what would have he accomplished if he hadn't given up, or if his life was just a little bit easier.
I took a different path, even though after my grandfather died i almost starved myself sick to finish my course. Was it worth it, who knows, I haven't accomplished anything note worthy. I was never considered above average, even though i never really tried to succeed in anything i did. why? Because it's boring,..
Because it's meaningless to me...
But getting back to the point, education. So we all take the same classes, we all do the same tests, and then when we are a bit older, we choose something to specialize in, where again, we all take the same classes, and we all do the same exams. Because every parent wants a doctor for a son, but society has a limited need for doctors, and not every kid wants to be a doctor. But we all want something good, nobody dream job is to clean other's people shit. Or wash dishes in a restaurant. But somebody has to do it.
So in reality the system we have in place is perfect, it's designed to only allow a few to pass, even though some shouldn't. I met people with university degrees who only did it because, well we had too., like all of the philosophers who though, hey at least i get a college degree and don't have to do math.
So what can we do instead, fuck if i know, I still haven't found something that i really want to do, and i bet when i do, i'll probably get bored with it.
Sem comentários:
Enviar um comentário