Hey man.
I know you are a busy man, but I feel like I had to tell you this eventually.
I'm am not a maggot, I never was.
I couldn't get it, your words and all that sound were screaming out of my speakers and yet I failed to grasp it.
I couldn't relate with the movement, I couldn't relate with every one around me full of hate and sorrow when their lives seemed so perfect from my perspective. I was young, and stupid. I'm older now, and wiser.
You have been a a part of my life for at least 15 years, you came and went every so often. I saw you in 2004 telling a crowd to kneel down. I liked your music but I still couldn't grasp it.
I saw you again in 2007, just briefly, I wasn't there for you that time, I went to see James. So I saw you from afar ripping your lungs out screaming at the crowd to get inside.
I still liked your music, I have fond memories of my radio playing Sulfur, and Before I Forget while I was stuck in traffic coming from home.
A few years later Paul died, I was sad, even though I never met you guys, even though I had bands I liked more, I still consider you all important to me. to the world.
Music has been an addiction of mine for as long as I can remember. I can't play it but I love it, I can't live without it. I consider every musician that as ever send chills down my spine or make the airs on the back of my neck stand with their music as friends, friends I never met.
Through out the years I lost a few friends I never met, Paul, The Rev, Kurt, Dave Williams...
I lost so many friends.
Last year, in march 2014 I lost my best friend I never met, his name was Joao Ribas, he was the lead singer for a punk Portuguese band that I have loved for so many years.
His lyrics and sounds got me out of depression, his voice shouting from my radio made me feel more alive and confident then ever before. I was growing up, turning from kid to man, and his songs were shaping me into what I wanted to be.
I was devastated when I found out, it's silly even now while writing this my eyes still get all teary, but when all seemed wrong in my life I had him giving me strength through his music and now it was gone. all I had left was the past, I couldn't look forward for what else he had to say any more.
Soon after I had to go to a place very strange for me, I felt so out of place, so ripped off from reality, so trapped... and all I had to keep me sane was music.
For a long time I couldn't hear his music, the only song that I couldn't remove from my playlist was the last one he did before leaving.
But after a while another voice rose between the chaos of my playlist, this voice was now giving me courage, keeping me alive and sane. It started growing on me, from one song it became a whole album, from an album an entire compilation. And some time after I was roaming around the streets of Paris with you shouting in my ears. The emotions and feeling of empowerment while you asked me to Do You a Favor, when you said to give the lunatic a chance, I remember your cover of wicked game giving me chills while I sat outside in a coffee shop dreaming of girl.
Not long after a close friend told me you wrote a book, well actually more than one by that time, but he told me to start with the seven deadly sins. I just finished it and its amazing how much we have in common. Wrestling, comics, Carlin and many others.
I was surprised, I loved those things my entire life and you never came across like the kinda of guy liking that stuff.
I read all the chapters and you made some pretty good points, I still wonder though who the hell was that rock star?
But my point is, after all this rambling, I had lost my best friend I never met, and I never got to say thank you for all the good times. And you stepped up unknowingly. You became the one giving me something to look forward to. And I wanted to say thank you.
Thank you man, for being who you are.
Thank you for being Corey fucking Taylor.
Sem comentários:
Enviar um comentário