How many
times must a heart break before it gets turned to stone?
I feel like my heart is too soft for this reality I’m living now, and day by day it breaks a little. And it gets a little bit harder than before. And crack by crack, as it heals, it slowly starts to turn to stone, until it no longer breaks. And then, you become cold, and unaffected by what goes on around you. You become numb, tears no longer flow and close yourself in a shell, trying to by invincible to the despair the walks slowly down the street.
Africa is little by little turning me into something different, and I have to leave before it makes me to hard.
The lack of compassion, the lack of morality, the lack of respect for the human condition, all those things are present in everyday life. Like the little girl that comes almost every day to the house where I work to make a red water that is later frozen and sold as ice-cream. She can't be more than 10. From the countless stories of man who take advantage of women simply because they need food, clothes or money to feed their kids. The poor healthcare for the people who can’t afford the “good” one. Every day I walk down the pediatric aisle the screams dig a little bit deeper in my head.
And the sharks, those business man, that swim around in these waters and devour whatever prey crosses their path, with no regard to the people that are a part of this land.
But there are good things here as well. Like everywhere, there are always small glances of hope around. In the eyes of those who believe that things can change, that try to make that change, limited only by the lack of tools.
On these days I feel powerless, wanting to help without knowing how to. I try, although weakly, to soften the blows to my heart, giving just a little. A different view, a different approach, a better chance. It maybe be little but it’s a start.
I have been having you in my mind lately my friend and I wondered how difficult it would be so difficult for me to be there. I can relate and understand your suffering.
ResponderEliminarA cultural shock is way more than adapting to another culture. It is a constant evaluating on whether you want or not to adapt and change the way you think in order for you to feel more at ease in the new environment.
Sometimes you simply don't want to adapt to this new environment and yes, i have to admit that that's when you know "this is NOT home".
No matter how hard that world is, no matter how you CANNOT change it, keep faithful to your beliefs and to your own self. After all, when all collapses, all fails and everything disappears, all that remains is you and your identity.
You are far from being a bad person. However keep in mind why you are there and have in your mind that although you cannot change everybody's life, you can change someone's life. You don't have to become an activist in order to do so. Just smile and be yourself and I am sure that will be enough. Help those you can but don't forget to help yourself also. It is a big country and unfortunately, from what i can gather, crime so far has more strength than goodness.
So make friends with the locals, give that 10years old a smile, share your views of a better reality with those around you...
I know you are strong and definitely stronger than me for you are where you are, so just be yourself, be faithful to yourself, make friends and inspire others and do not try to make that country your home.
Sending you a lot of strength and hope,